Last year, Karen devised a brilliant challenge – the Sewlution. It was basically a pledge to complete one self-chosen sewing accomplishment sometime during 2013. Somewhere in her jar is my pledge that I was going to sew a lined, tailored jacket. I’m happy to report that I did it!
Actually, I finished my jacket a few months ago, but for a number of reasons, never got around to photographing and blogging it. Oops.
After deciding that I wanted to make a jacket, I discovered my local community college was offering a class on jacket tailoring last February, so I signed up.
I periodically posted my progress through the class as we covered cutting, pad stitching, welt pockets, more pad stitching, and shoulder pads, among other topics. The class was fantastic. I learned so much. Even though my finished jacket doesn’t fit perfectly, I’m really proud of it. (Because we had limited class time, we didn’t spend a lot of time fitting, but rather focused on construction, which was fine with me.)
Here’s a brief recap of the progression:
And finally, the finished jacket!
It’s made out of a wool crepe that I found at a local fabric shop, and lined with my trusty Bemberg rayon.
Here’s the inside:
And some more details:
I feel like so much work went into this jacket, yet I’m a bit short on words to explain it all. As I recall, everything went together fairly smoothly, up until the very end when it was time to make the buttonholes. For whatever reason I could not bring myself to sew them. I think I was terrified I’d ruin the jacket and waste all the hours I put into it. It hung in my closet for months before I sewed them. Turns out, there was nothing to worry about!
I loved sewing this, and I’m still a little surprised that I actually pulled it off. Making a suit jacket was one of those ‘pie in the sky’ ideas I had when I first started sewing. It was more of a “wouldn’t it be cool if I could …” type of goal, rather than an actual goal. But once I changed my mindset, and made it a real goal (thank you Karen for the push), I did it!
The bottom line is, don’t be afraid to try new things with your sewing, and set big scary goals, even if they seem out of reach. (And if you’re thinking about trying tailoring, I found the book we used for class was really helpful.)
Next up… the big Shedquarters reveal!