It’s finished! It’s finished! My Peony is finished! Now if only the sun will come out!
I actually finished this last week, but between gloomy weather and the fact it’s dark when I get home, photos have been a challenge.
I started this dress back during Sew Colette, before the group went on hiatus for the holidays. I had a difficult time fitting the bodice. Honestly, I almost gave up on this dress. But I’m so glad I didn’t. The fit turned out pretty good, I think.
My biggest trouble was with the sleeves. I thought I worked out at the muslin stage, but when I sewed them into my final dress, they just weren’t working for me. They looked okay, but felt tight and restricting. So I ripped them out, and went sleeveless instead. This is better for wearing with a cardigan anyways, which is what I always wear at work.
I lined the skirt with red Bemberg rayon. I also made some bias strips out of the lining fabric, which I used as a hem tape. This fabric was fiddly to turn into bias tape, but I think it’s a lot nicer than the stiff store-bought stuff.
I tried a few new techniques on this dress. First, I used bias tape as a facing for the armholes. After I nixed the sleeves, I didn’t feel like drafting an armhole facing piece. The bias strips worked really well. (I also made this bias tape, using the same contrast fabric from the neck facing.)
Second, I did a Hong Kong finish on the edge of my neck facings. I used some of the red lining bias strips for this. I really like this finish, and plan to use it again.
Third, I put in a centered hand-picked zipper. This worked just as nicely as the lapped versions I’ve been doing recently. Actually, it might have even been easier!
The sun peeked out for just a minute this afternoon, so I tried to capitalize on it for a quick outdoor shot.