It seems that no matter how excited I am about a project, or how well it’s going, I hit a point along the way where my progress stalls. Usually it happens at the hemming stage. That’s what happened with this dress. Things were going along fine, and then when all I had left was the hem, I let it sit for 3 weeks. Ah, procrastination, you are my enemy.
Anyway, this dress is Simplicity 1873. I had passed over this pattern numerous times because I just couldn’t see past the dress pictured on the envelope, which I personally don’t care for. But during the last $1 pattern sale, I went ahead an picked it up after looking more closely at the line drawings.
I didn’t make many fit adjustments. I made a quick bodice muslin and could tell the darts and armholes were off. So I pulled out my Emery bodice and transferred the dart placement and armhole shape onto the Simplicity pattern. That worked pretty well, and I’m happy with how it fits. Although the waist is sitting just a bit too high. If I make this again I will lengthen the bodice maybe 1/2 inch. (I was expecting the weight of the skirt to pull the waist down more than it did.) The waist feels fine with a wide belt though.
So, I though I’d try out something different here and post a little video of the dress. I think it’s helpful to see garments in motion, and I hope it will give you a better sense of the fabric/pattern combo I used. (I got a little extra twirl out of the skirt it due to the wind.) But this comes with the disclaimer that I’m totally not a model, and I’m fully aware I look a bit ridiculous. 🙂 Okay, so here you go: