I’ve been on a ponte kick lately. In the last couple of months I’ve made 5 garments out of it, including this dress. Technically, this is just a wearable muslin, so it’s got a few issues to be worked out. But I still like it.
The pattern is McCall 6886.
My alterations included doing a forward shoulder adjustment (which has become standard for me), and I added 2 fish-eye darts to the back because I had a lot of excess fabric in the mid back. Next time I will also do a sway back adjustment. I may also peg the bottom of the skirt a little bit.
The construction was really straightforward. I sewed the sleeves in flat, and just turned and stitched the neckline. Easy peasy.
The fabric came from Michael Levine Loft, a fabric-by-the-pound store where you dig through boxes and boxes of fabric. When I saw this ponte, I wasn’t in love with it, because green isn’t really my color. But I picked it up thinking it would be good for muslin making. It turns out that I actually like how the fabric looks sewn up. But sadly, because it’s pretty low quality, the green stripes have started to pill. 😦 I was in NYC last week, and found some hopefully better quality striped ponte at Mood, so I’m planning to remake this dress soon.