Completed: McCall 6886

I’ve been on a ponte kick lately.  In the last couple of months I’ve made 5 garments out of it, including this dress.  Technically, this is just a wearable muslin, so it’s got a few issues to be worked out.  But I still like it.

McCalls 6886

The pattern is McCall 6886.

IMGP2752

My alterations included doing a forward shoulder adjustment (which has become standard for me), and I added 2 fish-eye darts to the back because I had a lot of excess fabric in the mid back.  Next time I will also do a sway back adjustment.  I may also peg the bottom of the skirt a little bit.

McCalls 6886

McCalls 6886

The construction was really straightforward. I sewed the sleeves in flat, and just turned and stitched the neckline. Easy peasy.

IMGP2755

The fabric came from Michael Levine Loft, a fabric-by-the-pound store where you dig through boxes and boxes of fabric.  When I saw this ponte, I wasn’t in love with it, because green isn’t really my color.  But I picked it up thinking it would be good for muslin making.  It turns out that I actually like how the fabric looks sewn up.  But sadly, because it’s pretty low quality, the green stripes have started to pill.  😦   I was in NYC last week, and found some hopefully better quality striped ponte at Mood, so I’m planning to remake this dress soon.

IMGP3353

I really like this pattern.  It’s simple and easy to sew, the finished dress is super comfy to wear, and with a jacket, and I feel put together for work.  Yay for secret pajamas!
McCalls 6886