Ever have a pattern that you like part of, but not the whole thing? That’s the story of this dress.
A few months ago I decided to sew McCall 6833. But after three failed muslins, I gave up on the bodice. It just wasn’t working for me.
However, I liked the skirt. I also noticed that in addition to the pleated skirt you see on the envelope, the pattern came with pieces for a 1/4 circle skirt lining that looked promising to use on its own. And so I filed it away in the “to use later” pile and moved on.
I recently came back to the pattern and decided to give it a try with the bodice of Simplicity 2444, which is one of my favorites. I used the M6833 skirt lining pieces, and I think it worked out really well. I get the ‘fit and flair’ silhouette that I like, but the skirt is not overly full, and doesn’t blow up in the wind.
Luckily I didn’t have to make any adjustments to make the skirt piece fit the bodice, the patterns matched up well. I did lengthen the skirt by a few inches. Because it was a lining pattern, it was pretty short as drafted.
The fabric is stretch cotton sateen that I bought from Mood Fabrics in L.A. I think I’ve said it before, but this is one of my favorite types of fabrics to sew and wear. I like the body it gives this skirt. I tried to take care with the pattern placement over the front bodice, and I think the back matching looks pretty good.
Here are some flat shots.
The bodice darts get lost in the pattern, but they are there.
On the last night I was sewing this dress, the power to my house was scheduled to be shut off because the utility company was doing some line work. I really wanted to wear the dress to work the next day, so it was a race against the clock to finish. I got it done just in time. But wow, I don’t really like sewing under pressure. It was nice to know I can sew faster, but I think I’ll stick to my usual slow pace. 🙂