In addition to the thread rack I made, there are a couple of other DIY projects I completed for Shedquarters that I thought I’d share. The first is the black and white sewing machine “art” in this photo:
Basically, this is just a canvas from the art store with the sewing machine silhouette spray painted onto it. Super easy!
The sewing machine is a free graphic that you can find here. I blew it up and printed it out, then carefully cut it out with an exacto knife to make a stencil. I taped my stencil to the canvas, and spray painted it.
I could have done a better job taping it down, and should have used heavier paper for the stencil, because I got some paint flare around the edges. But I’m okay with it. Reminds me that my sewing doesn’t need to be perfect!
My other project also involved a stencil and spray paint. I made a monogramed door mat for Shedquarters. I got the idea here.
You may recognize the D, it’s the same one I embroider on my garments as a label. (In case you are wondering why the D, my first name starts with a D. 🙂 )
I downloaded the letter template from this site, and followed the same steps as with the sewing machine picture. I got my plain rug at IKEA.
So there you go, get some spray paint and make a stencil . . . it’s a cheap and easy way to make all kinds of custom projects. 🙂
When I was organizing Shedquarters, I knew I wanted to get my thread up on the wall where I could see it. Previously, I jammed it all into a tiny drawer, and it wasn’t working out very well for me.
I initially thought I might purchase some thread racks. Then, one Saturday afternoon I was walking through our garage and stumbled across a piece a scrap wood that had a hole drilled near one end, and I realized I could easily make my own!
Basically, I took the piece of wood, sanded it down, painted it, and drove some nails into it. If you’d like to make something similar, here’s a list of the materials I used:
— Wood (I used a 1 x 6 board, that is about 30 inches long.)
— Paint (I used a combination of flat and high gloss black paint. I painted flat paint around the edges as a ‘frame’ and high gloss in the middle.)
— 3″ Nails (I got the “Bright Finish” kind, with small heads so my spools would easily slip onto them. They were smoother and shinier than the other nails I found at the hardware store.)
After I sanded and painted the wood, I marked where I wanted my nails to go. I determined I could fit 16 rows, of 3 spools wide. Then I used a small drill bit to make pilot holes for the nails.
This made driving the nails in much quicker and easier.
And that’s it! A super simple (and cheap) thread rack.
The first week of Me-Made-May is done, and I met my goal of sporting me-mades to work at least three times.
On Wednesday (The first day, you’ve seen this one before), I wore my red Sorbetto Top.
On Thursday, I wore my Blue Rose Truffle.
It was SO sunny Thursday morning, it was a shame to have to go to work!
Friday I wore my Licorice Dress.
Friday’s photo theme was water – so I posed by the “watering hole” in my kitchen.
I didn’t wear any me-mades today. 😦 I go for comfort on weekends and mostly wear knits and jeans (or pj’s!). Since I haven’t learned how to make t-shirts yet, my me-made options are seriously lacking. I’m hoping to tackle learning to sew knits soon though!
Even though I didn’t wear any handmade garments today, I did work on one! I got behind in my tailoring class, so I’ve been catching up on my jacket. Been working on setting the collar.
I realized that I really needed a point pressure, for pressing the seams open around the collar. So I rummaged around the garage and made one!
It’s just two pieces of scrap wood, connected with two screws and sanded down. I will probably go back and sand down a point on one end. It’s a little on the small side, compared to the ones you can buy, but it worked fine for what I needed it to do today. Gotta love cheap homemade sewing tools, right?!
When I travel, I always bring some knitting with me. But I’ve never had a proper project bag. So today, I whipped this up, just in time for our vacation on Monday!
I used some scraps of quilting cotton I found in my closet, and lined it with left over Bemberg rayon. I wanted a slippery lining so that the yarn will pull out easily as I knit.
I’m really happy with this little project. I followed this tutorial. It was really easy, and used barely any fabric. The only change I made was to add interfacing to the main fabric, so that the bag will stand open on its own.
So, now I think I’m ready for vacation. Oh, except packing. . . .
PS – If you’re wondering, the project is a lace shawl called Omelet.