Completed: OAL Dress and Cardigan!

I’ve knitted a lot of things and sewn a lot of things, but it wasn’t until the AOL (Outfit Along) that I did both at the same time with the intention of making a coordinating outfit. Why I’ve never done this before, I don’t know. Probably because knitting takes me so much longer than sewing.  But I’m so glad Lauren and Andi had this idea, it’s been a fun project.

OAL 2014

First, let’s talk about the dress.  I used the “official” OAL pattern, which is Simplicity 1803.  I sewed view B.  I had a little trouble with the fit on the bodice of this dress.  I made a muslin, but when I tried on the dress in my fashion fabric it turned out too big.  Unfortunately I had already finished the armholes at that point, so I had to do a bit of unpicking before I could take in the side seams.  It all worked out, but it was frustrating.

OAL 2014

If I’m being honest, I don’t really like the bodice of this dress.  I don’t like the seam that runs down the center front, and I’m not a huge fan of the shape of the neckline on me.  But I do like the skirt.  It’s gathered, without being too gathered.

OAL 2014

The fabric is rayon challis (I know, I sew with this a lot – it’s my favorite summer fabric).  I underlined the bodice with cotton lawn, but didn’t line the skirt.  Because the fabric is a little sheer, I made a white half slip out of Bemberg rayon (not pictured).

OAL 2014

Here’s few flat shots.  You can’t see the front seam because the fabric is so busy, but it’s there.

OAL Dress

The invisible zipper blends into this print really well too.
OAL Dress

Inside front:
OAL Dress

Inside back.
OAL Dress
OAL Dress

I finished the armholes with bias tape made from a scrap of Bemberg.
OAL Dress

Next, there’s the cardigan.  This is the Myrna pattern by Andi Satterlund.  I enjoyed knitting this, and found the pattern was easy to follow.  I knitted the size small, without any modifications.

OAL 2014

The sleeves turned out a smidge too tight around my biceps, I’ll just blame that on the pull-up bar we built in the garage.   😉
OAL 2014

If I knit this pattern again, I think I’d leave out the keyhole.  It’s cute, but close up mine looks sloppier than I’d like.
OAL 2014

The yarn I used is Malabrigo worsted, and the color is Ravelry Red.  This was my first time using this yarn, and it was a delight to knit with.
OAL 2014
OAL 2014

I’m a little bummed about the buttonband.  There was a portion of the yarn that was much lighter than the rest, and it ended up right along the edge of the top buttonband.  I may go back and reknit it.  It won’t take that long, but buttonbands are the least enjoyable part of knitting for me.  That, and weaving in ends.

Myrna
Myrna

Anyway, despite my pointing out a couple of insignificant flaws, I really do like this outfit!  It was fun to make both pieces, and I think I will try to coordinate my knitting with my sewing more often in the future.
OAL 2014

Advertisements