Happy Saturday! I’m about to settle down on the couch to watch football and knit. But first, let’s talk about this dress that I finished last month. I wore it for the first time yesterday. (That’s been a recent trend for me, to finish something and then let it sit for a while.)
I’ve had this brown jacket in my closet for years. I originally had brown pants that went with it, but they died a long time ago, and since then, the jacket has just hung there, unworn. I don’t wear very much brown, as I prefer black or gray. So I wanted to make something that would go with the jacket because it’s perfect to wear to work.
I’ve made this pattern before, and thought it might become a TNT with a few tweaks. It’s not quite at TNT status yet, but getting there. On this version I narrowed the shoulders a bit to rid of some of the excess fabric above the bust that my last version had. The sleeves still don’t fit quite right, so I need to work on that.
You’ve seen the fabric before, it’s the same cotton that I made my sister’s skirt out of. It’s maybe a little stiff for this dress, which I think contributes to the wrinkles you see in the pics. Since the jacket covers the most wrinkly bits, I’m not too concerned about it.
Here’s the dress flat:
I cut the lining off above the back slit, so that I didn’t have to futz with attaching the lining to the kick pleat. I always have a really hard time with that. But when I wore this yesterday, I noticed the dress wanted to cling a bit to my tights below the lining. So next time I will work on the lining/kick pleat problem.
Also when I was sewing the lining, I made a mistake and sewed (and serged) the wrong sides together on one side, so the stitching is exposed on the inside. I almost unpicked this, but on the wise advice of the ladies on Instagram, left it as is. 🙂