I had an idea for an Emery Dress hack floating around my head. I was also feeling the need for a new polka dot dress. This is what I ended up with. Unfortunately, this turned out to be one of those projects where the fabric was not a good match for the pattern.
The fabric is a polka dot cotton shirting that I got at Mood L.A. over a year ago. I bought it with the intention to make a shirt. I should have done that. This fabric just does not have the drape necessary for this dress.
I started with the Emery bodice, and redrew the neckline to match the one from the vintage pattern on the right. Then I added the skirt (view A) from Butterick 5951.
I lined the bodice with bemberg rayon, as usual.
A couple bright spots are the catch stitching on the hem, it turned out really even. 🙂
And the armhole finish turned out nice.
I kind of knew this fabric wasn’t going to work, but I went ahead with it anyways. Oh well. I may revisit this hack again with a different fabric. But not right away. For now I’ll consider this my ‘live and learn, and move on’ dress.