I can’t stop. Last weekend I cut out two more Emery dresses. Here’s the first one I finished:
I’m not sure how many Emerys I’ve made at this point, I’ve lost count. I think I return to this pattern repeatedly because I know it works for me, and sometimes (okay, a lot of the time) I just want to sew without all the effort of fitting.
On this version I lowered the neckline a little bit and used a different skirt. The skirt is from Simplicity 1803, but I pleated it instead of doing gathers.
The fabric is rayon challis, which has become my favorite summer fabric. I ordered this particular one from Fabric.com, but I don’t think its available any longer.
I lined the bodice with Kaufman lawn. I really like the challis/cotton lining combo, it gives the challis just a bit of structure but stays nice and cool.
I also used matching serger thread on this project. Lately I’ve been branching out and using colors other than black and white. 🙂
When I was checking the placement of the pleats, I tied a piece of quilt binding around my waist as make-shift belt. I kind of liked the look, so I stitched the ends and made it an official belt.
Now that I’ve got another Emery in my closet, I’m think I’m ready for the One Week One Pattern challenge in September!