I’ll freely admit that I’m a selfish sewer. But on occasion, I’ll make something for someone, like my latest make – this Robson trench coat. I made this for my sister’s birthday after she saw my trench and liked it.
Since she had tried my coat on, I knew this was going to fit her without needing any major alterations. I cut a size 4, but shaved about 1/4 inch off all the princess seams, since she is a little smaller than me. I also narrowed the flair at the bottom. Because she is petite, I thought a slimmer silhouette would be more flattering.
I made two other changes worth noting. First, I took a wedge out of the front flaps to make them narrower. On my coat, the flaps won’t lie flat and it drives me nuts. So I pinched out the excess on my coat and transferred it to the pattern piece. This is what the alteration looks like. I was careful not to change the top or the sides of the flap. I wanted to be sure that it would still match at the shoulder, armhole, and neck line.
It worked and the flaps now lie perfectly!
Second, I lined the sleeves. This makes it easier to take the coat on and off. I took some pics of my process, so expect a tutorial on this soon.
The fabric is a cotton twill that I purchased from organic cotton plus. I’m impressed with the quality and would order from them again. I used Bemberg rayon for the sleeve lining and black packaged bias tape to finish the seams.
Although this pattern has a lot of pieces, it’s not too difficult. I love all details.