I’m pretty excited about my latest dress! It’s the first time I’ve sewn with an ITY knit. I was a little apprehensive about it, but it turned out to be super easy.
I’ve had this fabric in my stash for maybe two years. I wasn’t in love with the print, which is part of the reason it sat unused for so long. But now that I’ve sewn it up, I quite like it.
The pattern I used is Simplicity 1808. It’s a simple design, the sleeves and bodice are cut all-in-one, so you don’t have to set in any sleeves. It also doesn’t require much fabric. I think I used 1.5 yards.
I wasn’t sure what size to cut, since this was my first knit dress, and I knew fitting would be different than with a woven fabric. So I looked at the finished garment measurements (which are printed on the pattern pieces – thank you Simplicity!) and made my best guess. I ended up blending 3 sizes (10 at bust, 8 at the waist, and 14 at the hip). I think it turned out just right.
The only change I made was on the sleeves. The pattern tells you to sew a casing and add elastic, to make a fitted cap sleeve. I tried it and found it uncomfortable and awkward looking. So I opted to just leave the sleeves unhemmed and kind of flouncy. I love that ITY knit doesn’t ravel!
As for sewing techniques, I sewed this on my regular machine, with a stretch stitch (the one that looks like a lightning bolt.) I also tried using my walking foot. But the fabric kept sticking to it and bunching up behind the needle. In the end, I put my regular foot back on, and didn’t have any issues.
I used a twin ball point needle for the hem. It’s a little wonky in spots, but overall okay. I probably just need a bit more practice with it.
In other non-sewing news, my little houseguest, Zoe, has gone back home to live with her momma. 🙂 We had so much fun with her, it was kind of a sad day to see her leave.
I’m really gonna miss this little beagle face.