I’ve been really interested in sewing collared shirts lately. So it seemed like the right time to try out McCall 6696, a shirt dress pattern that I’ve had in my stash for a while.
I like how this turned out. Although when I wore it to work the other day, I realized it kind of looks like a flight attendant uniform. Oh well. I still like it. 🙂 It has pockets!
I only made two modifications to the pattern: I changed the cuffs and the bodice back. The cuff that came with the pattern was too big and pointy for me. I felt like I was wearing wings or something. So I made a straight cuff.
The back bodice has gathering in the center, between the the back yoke and the waistband. As drafted, there was way too much fabric and it was excessively poofy. (From what I’ve read, this is a common complaint.) I took out about 3″ of fabric along the center back, and still had enough left over for some gathering.
This pattern comes in multiple cup sizes, and if I make it again, I’m thinking I might go up a cup size. See the diagonal drag lines around the bust. I think those indicate I need more ease over the bust, or a FBA. But I’m not really sure. It could be my fabric, I didn’t notice those lines on my muslin.
The fabric is a stretch cotton sateen I ordered online from Mood. It’s probably a little heavier weight than is ideal for the pattern, but I really wanted a navy shirtdress, so I went with it.
I used a lightweight piece of plaid to line the pockets and the inner yoke and waistband pieces.
This is my favorite part of the dress, even if no one will ever see it. 😉
I may try this pattern again, in a lighter fabric this spring. We’ll see . . . .