Completed Sewlution: A Tailored Jacket

Last year, Karen devised a brilliant challenge – the Sewlution.  It was basically a pledge to complete one self-chosen sewing accomplishment sometime during 2013.  Somewhere in her jar is my pledge that I was going to sew a lined, tailored jacket.  I’m happy to report that I did it!

Jacket

Jacket

Actually, I finished my jacket a few months ago, but for a number of reasons, never got around to photographing and blogging it.  Oops.

After deciding that I wanted to make a jacket, I discovered my local community college was offering a class on jacket tailoring last February, so I signed up.

I periodically posted my progress through the class as we covered cutting, pad stitching, welt pockets, more pad stitching, and shoulder pads, among other topics.  The class was fantastic.  I learned so much.  Even though my finished jacket doesn’t fit perfectly, I’m really proud of it.  (Because we had limited class time, we didn’t spend a lot of time fitting, but rather focused on construction, which was fine with me.)

Jacket

Jacket

The sleeves turned out too big.

Here’s a brief recap of the progression:

Cutting Wool

Pad Stitched Lapel

IMGP5764

And finally, the finished jacket!

Jacket Details

It’s made out of a wool crepe that I found at a local fabric shop, and lined with my trusty Bemberg rayon.

Here’s the inside:

Jacket Details

Jacket Details

Jacket Details

Back pleat in the lining, for ease of movement.

Jacket Details

Hong Kong finish along bottom of front facing/hem.

Jacket Details

Jump hem.

Jacket Details

And some more details:

Jacket Details

Jacket Details
Jacket Details

Jacket Details

I feel like so much work went into this jacket, yet I’m a bit short on words to explain it all.  As I recall, everything went together fairly smoothly, up until the very end when it was time to make the buttonholes.  For whatever reason I could not bring myself to sew them.  I think I was terrified I’d ruin the jacket and waste all the hours I put into it.  It hung in my closet for months before I sewed them.  Turns out, there was nothing to worry about!

Jacket

I loved sewing this, and I’m still a little surprised that I actually pulled it off.  Making a suit jacket was one of those ‘pie in the sky’ ideas I had when I first started sewing.  It was more of a “wouldn’t it be cool if I could …” type of goal, rather than an actual goal.  But once I changed my mindset, and made it a real goal (thank you Karen for the push), I did it!

Jacket

The bottom line is, don’t be afraid to try new things with your sewing, and set big scary goals, even if they seem out of reach. (And if you’re thinking about trying tailoring, I found the book we used for class was really helpful.)

Next up… the big Shedquarters reveal!

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Completed Sewlution: A Tailored Jacket

  1. So gorgeous!! Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂 I feel like making a jacket seems somewhat impossible at this point, but seeing how beautiful your first jacket turned out is very motivating!!

  2. When you see the progress, I am sure that you are amazed with yourself. But your talent is great! You took your time and accomplished something monumental! 🙂 Well done indeed!!! m.b.

  3. It look so professional – you did an amazing job! Thank you for all the detail and progress shots. It’s so nice to see how it all came together! You have a right to be proud!

  4. Pingback: Happy New Year – Top 5 | Purls and Pleats

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s