I’ve been wanting to make a shirt dress for a while, so I thought the Hawthorn Sew-Along is the perfect opportunity to give it a try.
Colette’s patterns are usually a bit too big for me in the bust. And the darts are always too high. So I immediately lowered the bust darts and made my first muslin. It fit okay, except I had a serious poof of fabric above the dart.
I knew I needed to do a SBA (small bust adjustment), but I was feeling lazy, so I decided to just take a horizontal tuck out along the bust line. I also divided the one dart into two, according to Colette’s tutorial. (2 darts were recommended if you did a full bust adjustment, but I think it also helps reduce the pointy-ness of the darts on a small bust too.)
The second muslin looked better, but not great. I re-sewed the darts a few times, and fiddled with the side seams, but could not get rid of the excess above the darts.
So I retraced my pattern a second time, and followed Colette’s tutorial for making a SBA. I took out about 1/2 inch. It seemed to be the right adjustment. The darts on the left are looking pretty smooth. (Ignore the ones on the right, I was messing around with those and messed them up.)
On a high note, the back fit pretty much perfectly. Normally with Colette, I have a lot of excess fabric in the upper back, but this one was fine.
For the final version, I’m going to be using a lightweight purple cotton sateen that I got at Mood. It has a bit of stretch, so I really hope that doesn’t goof up all my fit adjustments!