Months ago I started on the daunting path of sewing a pair of trousers. Somewhere along the way I lost steam and abandoned the project. I stuffed my half-sewn pants in the remnant bin, and that is where they lived for months. Every time I’d pull my bin out, there they were, mocking me.
So finally, last month I’d had enough and pulled them back out onto the sewing table. And here they are — my finished Thurlows.
I had a hard time fitting this pattern, and I’m not totally satisfied with how they turned out. But I learned a lot, and feel like at least I know how to sew pants now.
I made my alterations so long ago that I don’t remember them. Looking back I think I started out with too big of a size (I literally took inches out of these). There is still a lot of wrinkling in the back. Oh well, at least they are comfortable.
Another disappointment is that even though I dutifully practiced the welt pocket, and the practice one turned out good, the actual welts didn’t. They are too wide and spread apart.
I also like my contrast fabric – keeps the insides interesting.
Although I’m not in love with these, I’m relieved they are finished! And with my newly acquired fly-zip sewing skills, I’m feeling ready to take on my next challenge and copy a pair of my RTW shorts. Wish me luck!