Part of my Me-Made-May challenge was to sew two garments this month. And I did it. 🙂 Although I feel like a bit of cheat because I used the same fabric for both!
[Warning: there’s a lot of polka dots in this post!]
The first was the Portrait Blouse from Gertie’s Book. I made a quick muslin, and was satisfied with the fit without any major changes. So far, of the two patterns I’ve made from the book, they’ve fit really well, and I’ve avoided the dreaded muslin madness. Thank you Gertie!
Since I’m a sucker for polka dots, I wanted a version like the one in the book. I had some left over polka dot fabric fabric from my Licorice Dress that fit the bill. It’s a fairly drapey rayon, and is nice and cool to wear. Perfect for summer.
I omitted the facings, and used bias tape instead. I was worried the pre-made stuff would be too stiff (it always is for me) so I made my own from a scrap of Bemberg rayon lining. I wish it was white, but the cream works okay.
This blouse has a side zipper, which I was weary of at first. But after wearing it all day today, it turns out it’s fine. Wasn’t itchy or anything. All in all, the Portrait Blouse gets two thumbs up.
Since I’ve made this top a few times before, this went together really fast. I like this version because I can wear it to work with a skirt (like I did a few days ago) or toss it on with jeans.
I feel kinda lame that I made two polka dot tops, but hey, my Me-Made-May sewing challenge is complete! And now I have some new separates to wear, which I really needed. 🙂