I finally finished this dress last night. I’m a little behind the Sew Colette schedule, but better late, than never, right?!
The fabric is a light/medium weight cotton twill that I found on the discount table. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but as I’ve worked on this dress, it’s really grown on me.
As for the pattern, I made a few alterations to the bodice, and changed the skirt a little. Here’s the run-down.
My muslin was a little loose, so I went down a size. Then I moved the darts down. (On me, Colette darts always ride too high on my bust.) And I shaved a little bit off of the curved edge of the B pieces, to make the bust smaller. I also added about 5/8 inch to the top of piece A, to give me a little more coverage. When I made my muslin, I thought I’d lower the waistline, but decided against it in the end.
I’m happy with the fit across my bust, but the waist is too big. The dress kind of sticks out away from my body right under the waist seam. On my next version, I will have to take it in there.
For the skirt, I wasn’t digging the straight drindle style on me. So I decided to add a little more flare at the bottom. I did this by slashing and spreading the pattern pieces.
All I did was slash from the bottom of the skirt to the seam line – but not through it.
Then I spread the pieces and taped some paper in the gaps. Here’s a comparison of the before and after pieces:
When I first sewed this together, I felt like the gathered skirt looked kinda dumpy on me. So I pulled out the gathering and did pleats instead.
Despite my issue with the way the waist fits, I like this dress. It’s really comfortable. And I adore the pockets!! I will definitely be making another Hazel!