Colette Handbook – Taffy Blouse

And….Taffy is done!!!

This ended up being a fun and pretty easy pattern.  The key to this project — Spray Starch!!

This stuff is amazing.  Jirian posted this cool photo on the Sew Colette Flickr group, and after seeing that I knew I had to give this stuff a try.  It worked like a dream.

I used a sheer poly chiffon that has a plaid weave.

This is a fairly slippery fabric, and the starch really helped give me control over it.  Not only did it stop slipping off the table, it was easier to pin, fold, cut, and I think it helped control the fraying too.

Since I got my fabric for super cheap, I decided to live on the edge and skip the muslin.  However, I did make a few adjustments to the pattern.  First I lowered the darts a bit, which I knew I’d want to do because I’ve done this for all the Colette patterns I’ve made so far.  From what I’ve read about the pattern, the neckline on this top is very wide, and it has a tendency to slip off the shoulder.  So I brought the neck and shoulders in by adding about 3/4 inch to the neck and removing about 1/2 inch off the shoulders.  If I make this again, I will make the arm holes a smidge bigger, because the sleeves feel a little tight in the pit area.

This was my first time cutting on the bias.  The pattern instructions said to lay out each piece, trace it, and then flip it over to trace the other side.  I trace my patterns anyway, so I just traced full-sized pattern pieces, rather than doing the flip.

The actual construction of this top was straight forward.  The french seams were pretty easy too.

The Colette Handbook and my older sewing books offer different instructions on how to sew french seams.  According to the Handbook, you first sew a 1/4 inch seam, then a 3/8 inch seam, as explained here.  The other books say to first sew a 3/8 seam, trim the seam allowance, and then sew a 1/4 inch seam, as described here.  I like the Colette method better, it’s quicker. But you do get a narrower seam with the traditional method.

I used purchased bias tape, but made the mistake of only getting one package.  I ran out.  😦  These sleeves are really big!

Even though I was initially hesitant to sew this pattern, I’m really glad that I decided to make a Taffy.  🙂

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Colette Handbook – Taffy Blouse

  1. Just found your blog, your Taffy turned out great! I’m making one at the moment but couldn’t find the right bias tape in the shops! Hope mine looks as good as yours.
    Great idea to trace out the whole pattern piece. When I flipped mine everything shifted everywhere. It didn’t make for a precise cut!

  2. Oh by the way, I was thinking more about the Taffy, so I thought I’d ask since I also changed the shoulders (I re-drew the curve of the armhole to be further in up top). Did you do the same alteration as me? And if so, did you change the sleeves as well?

    • Thanks for your nice comments on my Taffy. 🙂
      As for my alterations, I re-drew the neckline, and then shaved some off the shoulder line (not sure if that’s even a real term) but I did not change the sleeve itself. I’ll put up a follow up post with a couple pictures in a bit, that might explain it better.

  3. Pingback: Follow-Up Notes on Taffy | Purls and Pleats

  4. Pingback: An Anniversary and a Me-Made-May Update | Purls and Pleats

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s