I decided to make my Meringue without the scallops. I’ve got nothing against them, but I really needed a simple black skirt for work, and thought I would get more use out of it if it was plain. I also followed this tutorial, and added a waistband.
I started with a muslin. The fit was okay, except for the puff of extra fabric across the front. (There was also a little extra in the back just below the waistband)
To fix that, I pinned out the excess fabric:
But then I struggled to figure out how to transfer the alteration to my pattern pieces. Sarah from Rhinestones & Telephones had a great idea, and suggested that I take my muslin apart and use my muslin pieces as my new pattern pieces. Brilliant!
I also decided to add a lining to my skirt. It was a little bit tricky to add the lining with the waistband and zipper, and honestly, I don’t remember exactly what I did. There was a lot of pinning and checking, and re-pinning and re-checking, then I just stuck it under the machine and went for it. I think it turned out pretty good!
Despite making a muslin, the final skirt is just okay to me.
It’s a tad tighter than my muslin, and the front wrinkle showed up again, although not as prominently. It doesn’t look too bad in this picture, but that’s because I was trying really hard to stand so the wrinkle wasn’t as noticeable. 🙂 The other problem is that I made this out of a cheap polyester. Mistake. I have a sneaking suspicion that might be why the wrinkle came back. Lesson learned — use decent fabric, or be sad.