Actually, I almost gave up on this dress. I chose a very lightweight cotton/nylon blend fabric, that has the slightest stretch. I thought it would make a nice cool summer dress that would still be work appropriate. But this stuff was a nightmare! It wrinkles. It puckers. It frayes. It slips. It melts. Did I mention it wrinkles? Seriously, it’s so bad that I feel like I won’t want to wear it much. Oh well. It’s done.
My first problem was the invisible zipper. I had a really bad bump at the bottom of the zipper. To get around it, I ended up hand sewing the seam below the zipper for about 1 1/2 inches. It’s better, but not great. You can still see it. :( My invisible zippers are never as nice as I want them, I think the next time I put one in I’m going to try a new technique.
The next problem was the length of the dress. For some reason this dress turned out too short. I have no idea how it happened, I used the same pattern pieces as my last Licorice. Not that I am against short, but I wanted to wear this to work. So I added an extra band of fabric at the bottom. Maybe it looks weird? I haven’t decided yet. For now, I’m calling it a “design detail.”
Okay, enough about the problems. Here’s what I LIKE about the dress – the lining! Of course, it’s Bemberg Rayon again, in this most luscious purple! Maybe I should wear the dress inside out – ha!
I understitched the neckline and armholes by hand.
And there’s my tagless garment label!!
Finally, I made a matching belt. But I didn’t feel like following the pattern directions, because I don’t like trying to turn a skinny tube of fabric. Instead I folded each side over about 1/4 inch and then folded the belt in half and stitched down all four sides.
In the end, I still love this pattern, even though my fabric choice let me down. And if I can get past its flaws, I know I will be cool and comfy wearing this dress throughout the summer.